Saturday, December 31, 2011

Double Chocolate Valentine Cake

For my birthday last year, my husband bought me Rose's Heavenly Cakes by Rose Beranbaum. Rose is also the author of The Cake Bible, a book I also own. The Cake Bible has been a trusty resource over the past few decades, but I'm so glad she published another cake book. I wish I could say I've tried more of the recipes in the newer book - I have made the Torta De Las Tres Leches Cake, the Banana Refrigerator Cake with Creamy White Chocolate Frosting and now the Double Chocolate Valentine Cake. Whenever I look at her book, I tend to feel overwhelmed. I know without a doubt that these are great recipes, but I know it will take me hours to complete.

The Double Chocolate Cake did take many hours from start to finish, but I was very happy with the results. It is not an overly sweet cake and packs quite a bit of chocolate and fudgey goodness into one slice. I ran out of raspberries so my cake isn't quite as beautiful as it could have been...oh well. The name of the cake clearly makes it a great choice for February 14th. Bake it in a heart shape and share it with the one(s) you love. I think this cake deserves to be served year-round.

Cocoa and hot water

Flour, Sugar, Baking powder, Salt, Cocoa mixture and Butter

Cake Batter in greased and floured pan

Ganache Glaze

Poke Holes with skewer and brush on Ganache Glaze

Top with fresh Raspberries

Raspberries glazed with Red Currant Jelly

Dig in!

Because I am lazy, I will provide a link to the recipe on GlobalGourmet.com.
Double Chocolate Valentine Cake recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment