Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Beef and Barley Soup

Beef and Barley Soup

What is it about food that is so comforting? This soup is a one pot dish that will warm your bones on a cold winter night. It is akin to Chinese porridge, but a jazzed up version. What I love about this dish is that you don't need to measure everything. Chop up veggies and throw them in a pot. The only thing I measure is the barley. You need 3 hours to simmer the soup so plan ahead.

Sometimes I eat out of boredom or eat when I'm stressed, but food doesn't fill a void or relieve anxiety. It is a distraction that can lead to over-consumption. So even though yummy food can make you happy and provide comfort, eat in moderation and develop a healthy relationship with food. Okay, I know I sound like I am preaching, but really it's also a reminder to myself. We all want to be healthy and feel good - make smart choices and only eat when you are hungry.

Beef and Barley Soup
Yields approximately 3 large servings

Notes: I normally use water since I don't have beef stock on hand. I find it necessary to use Dashida to flavor the soup. I don't like that it contains MSG so if you can find a MSG-free soup base, buy that. My Korean market used to have it but no longer carries it. I like my soup with a lot of meat, but if you don't only make the soup with 2 pieces of short ribs. I am hesitant to call it soup since it cooks down to a porridge-like consistency. If you want to keep yours more soup-like, add more water towards the end.

2-4 pieces meaty short ribs
3 garlic cloves, chopped
1 onion, diced
1 large carrot, diced
1 stalk celery, diced
1" - 2" piece of Parmigiano-Reggiano rind
1 t chopped fresh thyme
2 T chopped parsley or chives
2 t Dashida Beef Flavor Soup Stock (see Notes above)
Salt and Pepper to taste

1. Place the short ribs in a large pot.

2. Add 1/2 cup of barley, three big cloves of garlic chopped up, the chopped onions, carrots and celery. You can also add mushrooms and any other vegetables you might like. Grind in a little black pepper.

3. Add about eight cups of filtered water or beef stock and let it simmer on the back burner for at least three hours while you go about your business. You can also add lima beans, cube potatoes, peas, corn, string beans and chopped tomatoes at any point, or the second day, should you have any leftover.  During the last hour of cooking add the thyme and Parmigiano-Reggiano rind and Dashida soup stock.

4. Before serving, skim off the fat–there will be a bit, as short ribs are quite fatty. Pull the meat off the bones, chop it and put it back in the soup. Season with salt and pepper to taste.  Ladle the soup into bowls and serve with chopped parsley or chives on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment