Friday, October 14, 2011

BLT And More

I made two loaves of Challah bread today. They freeze nicely so they will last for a while. When did I turn into this homemaker who makes her own bread, bagels and ice cream?! I think my life was busy enough and now I am trying to keep up with the rapid rate at which these food items are consumed. Anyway, I wasn't in the mood to make dinner and my choices were make fried rice for the umpteenth time or make a sandwich. The kids were already fed so this meal is just for my husband and me. The sandwich was the easy pick and I had all the ingredients to make a BLT. I roasted grape tomatoes in the oven with oil, S&P. I combined Sriracha Hot Chili Sauce and Kewpie Mayonnaise for the mayo component (thank you Sandy!). I used thick cut bacon then topped it with crumbled blue cheese and slices of Asian Pear.

The result was quite lovely. I don't know if I have ever called a sandwich lovely, but this one is. It is an interesting combination of sweet, salty, spicy, and crispy. There is no recipe but here are some tips:

1. Slice the bread on the thin side so the bread doesn't overwhelm the filling. Lightly toast the bread like I did.
2. Make the spicy mayo as mild or spicy as you wish. I wanted some kick so added more Sriracha.
3. Go light on the blue cheese.
4. You can do two layers of the lettuce, tomatoes and mayo - one on the bottom and another on top of the bacon.
5. Don't skip the Asian pear - the texture and flavor is nice.


Challah slices with lettuce

Add Roasted Tomatoes

Drizzle on the Spicy Mayo

Top with Applewood Bacon

Add more Lettuce,  Blue Cheese and Asian Pear slices

BLT and more!

1 comment:

  1. Spicy mayo sandwiches here we come! Oh I guess we should throw some meet or veggies in there too.

    ReplyDelete