Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Pain de Mie

Shiny New Pullman Loaf Pan

There is something very gratifying about making bread.  Is it the amazing aroma while it's baking?  Or is it simply making a product that cannot compare to most store-bought breads?  Whatever the reason, I am hooked on bread making. I think I have overcome my fear of it and I am no longer aghast when sprinkles of flour hit the floor.

My new Pullman loaf pan arrived at my doorstep today. I had gone food shopping in the morning and bought various snacks and cold cuts for my son's lunches this week. Although I had clearly written BREAD on my shopping list, my mommy brain managed to forget this critical item. Normally I would make another trip to the supermarket, but having received my new pan I took it as a sign to make bread.

If you have never made bread before this would be a great place to start.  This recipe was super easy and quick compared to most breads.  I started making the dough at 2:30pm and the baking was done by 5:30pm. Everything is mixed and kneaded in the standing mixer. It is a nice bread for sandwiches or toast.


First Rise
Punched down dough transferred to pan to rise again

Cool on a rack

Definitely not Wonder bread

So good

Pain de Mie
From The Paupered Chef
Yield: 1- 13 x 4 x 4 loaf

Note: I used 24 ounces of AP flour and 3 ounces of bread flour simply because I ran out of AP flour.

1 1/3 cups whole milk
3/4 cup water
1.15 ounces (about 2 1/3 tablespoons) sugar
1/2 ounce (about 1 1/3 tablespoons) dry yeast
27 ounces all-purpose flour*
.85 ounces (about 1 1/2 tablespoons) salt
2.6 ounces (about 6 tablespoons) soft butter

1. Pour the milk and water into a small pot. Turn the heat to medium-low and slowly bring the temperature up to 100 degrees. Turn off the heat and add the sugar. Stir until disolved.

2. Pour the liquid into a medium-sized bowl and stir in the yeast. Let the mixture proof for ten minutes.

3. Combine the four and salt in stand mixer. Use the dough hook to quickly mix the two.

4. Make a well in the flour and pour in the liquid. Mix carefully on low until incorporated. Then add the butter.

5. Increase the speed to medium and let the stand mixer knead for 10 minutes.

6. Remove the dough from the bowl, form into a ball, and place in a large bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and let the dough rise for an hour.

7. Butter your 13 x 4 x 4 Pullman loaf pan. Punch down the dough, and then transfer to the loaf pan. Cover again with plastic wrap and let rise until it comes to the top of the pan. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.

8. Slide the top on of the pan on. Place loaf pan in the oven and cook for 45 minutes. Remove the bread from the pan and let cool on a wire rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment