Thursday, January 19, 2012

Chickpea Croquettes

Chickpea Croquette

Up until now I was a firm believer that a dinner meal should consist of an animal protein, a starch and a vegetable. Having flirted with veganism for the past few weeks, I no longer miss meat when it is absent. Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy a good steak or lamb chop, but if I only eat meat twice a week that is fine with me. Today I have a nice vegan recipe to share. I was pleasantly surprised that it was flavorful and satisfying enough to keep me from craving anything else. My husband thought it was delicious as well, so we have a new dish to add to our rotation.

I must admit that I was a little worried when I started cooking today. Last week I made a very yummy black bean soup. Although it tasted great, I can never make it again. All the negative press about beans causing gastric distress came to pass (yes, pun intended). I would have shared that recipe with you, but I like you too much to put you through any embarrassment or pain. The croquettes have whole chickpeas and chickpea flour in it...a possible double dose of trouble. Maybe it's TMI, but we did not escape the side effects. Was it terrible? No, not black bean soup terrible. Based on this isolated incident I would brave the chickpeas again...gassiness and all.

Chickpea/Garbanzo Bean Flour
Chickpea Flour, Cumin, Salt, Chili Powder
Red Peppers, Chickpeas, Garlic with Lemon, Olive Oil, and Parsley
Mixing the batter
Croquette Batter
Cooking in a non-stick pan with olive oil
Chickpea Croquette
Top with chopped tomatoes and lettuce

Notes: I didn't follow the recipe exactly since I was lacking some ingredients. I skipped the scallions/green onions. The original recipe calls for a Greek salad topping, but I didn't have any cucumbers. Instead I topped it with chopped tomatoes (seasoned with olive oil, S&P), shredded lettuce and Trader Joe's Goddess dressing. I just discovered the Goddess Dressing. I really like it but be forewarned it is high in fat and calories. A little goes a long way.

Chickpea Croquettes
Adapted from Vegetarian Times

1 cup chickpea flour
2 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 15-oz. can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
4 green onions, chopped (1/2 cup)
1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
2 Tbs. lemon juice
1 Tbs. olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced (2 tsp.)

1. Whisk together chickpea flour, cumin, chili powder, and salt in bowl. Whisk in 3/4 cup hot water. Stir in remaining ingredients, and season with salt and pepper, if desired.

 2. Coat nonstick skillet with cooking spray; heat over medium heat. Scoop 4 ı/4-cup dollops of chickpea mixture into skillet, and reduce heat to medium-low. Cook 3 to 4 minutes, or until golden.

3. Flip with spatula, and cook 3 to 4 minutes more. Repeat with remaining chickpea mixture. Serve each Croquette topped with chopped tomatoes (seasoned with olive oil, S&P), shredded lettuce and Trader Joe's Goddess dressing.

No comments:

Post a Comment