Thursday, January 26, 2012

Waffle Cones/Bowls Revisited

Joy of Cooking
So I know I blogged about waffle cones 2 weeks ago, but it's in my obsessive nature to surf the web until I feel I have exhausted my search.  I'm pretty certain I can add "FIND THE PERFECT WAFFLE CONE RECIPE" to my bucket list along with the perfect chocolate chip cookie and other recipes that elude me.  I enjoy the process and keep mental checklists of foods that I love and want to make.  Waffle cone recipes are easy to throw together.  I tried two recipes : one from the Joy of Cooking and the other by David Lebovitz's The Perfect Scoop.  Being the King of Ice Cream, I was hoping David's recipe would be top notch.  I am sad to report that it was one of my least favorite attempts to date.  The recipe gets 5 stars for appearance and sturdiness, but along with that came a tough, thick cookie that lacked flavor. As it cooked the nice buttery cookie aroma was missing - all I smelled was flour. The Joy of Cooking recipe had a better aroma and taste. Both recipes were not easy to roll into cones. Instead, I opted to make them into waffle bowls by inverting them onto ramekins.

I am surprised that I haven't found more blog postings about making waffle cones. It seems that many of the stores use a purchased mix and just add water to make their batters. I am so tempted to buy a mix just to try it out, but I am certain a made from scratch recipe is out there for me. Otherwise I will need to tinker with the one really good recipe I have to see if I can improve upon it. Just to recap, I have made 5 different ice cream cone recipes so far and the clear winner at the moment is the one from IceCreamUniversity.org - read my previous post. Rest assured that I will be making more in the future - all this experimenting is for me you.
Top View of Waffle Bowls - Joy of Cooking (left) - The Perfect Scoop (right)
Side View of Waffle Bowls - Joy of Cooking (left) - The Perfect Scoop (right)
Close up of Waffle Bowls - Joy of Cooking (left) - The Perfect Scoop (right)
Joy of Cooking Waffle Bowl served with Homemade Ice Cream - yay!

1 comment:

  1. I sincerely appreciate your attempts to find (yourself) us the perfect recipe! :)

    ReplyDelete