Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Sugar Cookies

Sugar Cookies
A stack of buttery goodness

So many children these days have food allergies.  My children luckily do not, however they are limited by their finickiness.  I am sharing the sugar cookie recipe that I make whenever I need to bake a sweet treat for school.  It is nut-free, egg-free and liked by most kids.  I don't have the patience to pipe on royal icing and to let it dry so I keep it simple by topping the cookie with sparkling sugar.  The sugar adheres to the cookie without any egg wash, just sprinkle it on evenly before baking.  Use whatever cookie cutters you like, but keep in mind this cookie tends to work better with simple designs.  Pumpkins, stars, circles, christmas trees and gingerbread men have all worked out well.  The number cookies (see pictures below) are sometimes hard to read when baked.

Having fun with numbers

Cookie for my 4 year old
 

Egg-Free Sugar Cookies
Adapted from Art of Dessert
Makes about 2 dozen cookies, 3 inches in diameter
Allergy Note: contains dairy and wheat

1 1/2 cups flour
2 Tbsp. cornstarch
3/4 cup powdered sugar
3/4 cup butter, softened to room temperature
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
Sparkling Sugar

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
Sift the flour, cornstarch and powdered sugar into a mixing bowl. Add the butter and vanilla extract; mix together to make a smooth dough. Divide in half, cover in plastic wrap and refrigerate if needed. Between 2 pieces of parchment paper, roll out the dough to about 1/4 inches thick. Cut into shapes, transfer onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper and sprinkle with sparkling sugar. Bake for 12-14 minutes or until the golden brown.

1 comment:

  1. Lovely site. I am following you. Glad if you follow me back.

    ReplyDelete