Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Belgian Waffles

Belgian Waffle


























I have owned my Villaware Belgian waffle maker for a long time. I can count on one hand how many times I've used it.  I could make the excuse that I've been too busy to make homemade waffles, but the real reason is I've had little success.  Up until now they have all been lackluster - soggy, yeasty or lacking in flavor.  It has always been on my to-do list to find the perfect waffle recipe.  I love the internet.  If you search long and hard enough, you will undoubtedly find what you want (recipe-wise).  Last night I was on an obsessive hunt to find a promising recipe. I stumbled across this site by Eddy Van Damme.  Check it out - he has some amazing photos and dessert recipes.  I'm happy to report that I found a winner.  Here is the recipe.

I was so excited about these waffles - I think I got a little carried away. What was supposed to be a simple exercise to find a good breakfast waffle ended in sheer abandon to decadence.  I remembered the left over vanilla ice cream from the sandwiches, cut up some strawberries, made a chocolate sauce and whipped up some cream.  I don't have words for how good it was.  I did my due diligence and tried a piece with maple syrup and that was good too.

It's getting hot in here!

Freshly made waffles

Before the whipped cream goes on

Notice the little hand with the spoon - he could not wait to get a taste.







































































































Belgian Waffles – Brussels Waffles
Recipe by Eddy Van Damme

Yield: About 16

Using liquor in this waffle is optional but does provide a very nice flavor.

¾ Cup Sparkling water, room temp.
¾ Cup + 2 Tbsp Milk, at 120°F (45°C)
2 teaspoons Dried yeast
1 teaspoon Vanilla bean paste
2 Large eggs,  separated
1 Tablespoon Extra fine granulated sugar
1 ½ teaspoon Salt
2 Cups Pastry or all purpose flour
6 Tablespoons Melted Butter
3 Tablespoons Mandarine  Napoléon liquor (optional)

In a bowl combine the sparkling water, milk, yeast, vanilla bean paste, yolks, sugar and salt.
Sift and add the flour and whisk until smooth and no lumps remain.
Add the melted butter followed by the Mandarine Napoléon Liquor, if using.
Whip the egg whites to medium firm peaks and fold into the above. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 40 minutes.
Use a good and well heated waffle iron.

** Notes: I didn't have the liquor so I omitted it. Next time I would add something extra (extract or other flavoring).
It doesn't say to refrigerate while letting it rise, but you should.
Recipe only yielded 8 waffles for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment