Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Russian Tea Cakes

Russian Tea Cake


























Do you have a cookie you enjoy so much that you can sit down and eat a dozen without blinking?  I can easily eat a pound of Italian butter cookies.  I usually only buy a few because I cannot show any self-restraint in their presence.  Now you know one of my weaknesses - offer me some raspberry jam sandwiched between buttery crumbly cookies that have been dipped in chocolate and you will gain my favor.

Russian tea cakes, aka Mexican wedding cookies, remind me of Italian cookies because they are crumbly.  I made these Russian tea cakes for my friend Fred at his request.  I hope they live up to his expectations.  Eating a so-so version of a cookie you love is disappointing.  These have a nice nutty flavor and are not too sweet even though they are rolled in powdered sugar.  My husband and I ate 3 each.  I have not made these cookies in over a decade.  It's nice to revisit something old and make it new again, especially when you are doing it for a friend.

Chopped Walnuts

Cookie Dough

Scooped out dough to form ball













































































Russian Tea Cake

Adapted from Epicurious.com

1 cup almond meal (available at Trader Joe's)
1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, room temperature
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup finely chopped walnuts, toasted
Powdered sugar


Sift almond meal, flour and salt together. Using electric mixer, cream butter in large bowl until light. Gradually add 1/2 cup sugar and beat until fluffy. Add vanilla. Mix in dry ingredients in 3 batches. Mix in walnuts. Refrigerate at least 1 hour or up to 12 hours.
Preheat oven to 350°F. Form dough into 1-inch balls. Space 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake until just firm to touch, about 15 minutes. Transfer to rack and cool slightly. Roll in powdered sugar. Cool completely. Roll cookies in powdered sugar again. Store in airtight container.

No comments:

Post a Comment