Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Marshmallow Fondant



























Today I made marshmallow fondant (MMF for short).  I am gearing up to make a cake tomorrow for a baby shower.  I haven't quite figured out what cake I'll be making for the inside or what shape it will be or what I want it to look like. Yes, basically I'm clueless. I just haven't had time to sit down and create a game plan.  Truth be told, I've been looking for bathroom sinks online for the past 2 days.  I had all my plumbing fixtures picked out for my bathroom renovation 2 months ago and now they tell me they can't get the sinks.  ARGH.  It goes to show that no matter how carefully you plan, things can go wrong.  So maybe it's not such a bad thing that I don't have a plan for the cake?  I have pink (it's a girl), green and white MMF to decorate the cake.  Stayed tuned for the masterpiece or failure that results tomorrow.





























Marshmallow Fondant

From Bake at 350

16 oz. bag mini marshmallows
3 TBSP water
2 lbs. powdered sugar
Crisco

Grease a large microwave-safe bowl with Crisco.  Place marshmallows and 3 tablespoons of water in the bowl. Pour in the marshmallows and water in the bowl. Microwave at 30-second intervals, stirring after each interval, until melted.

Reserve about 1/4 c. powdered sugar. Place the rest of the powdered sugar in the large bowl of a standing mixer. Grease the paddle attachment with Crisco. Pour the melted marshmallows onto the powdered sugar.

Beat until a dough forms. There will be lots of loose bits and sugar in the bottom of the bowl.

Grease a clean work surface with Crisco and dump out the fondant and all loose bits. Grease hands liberally with Crisco and knead the mixture together, just like kneading bread, for about 5 minutes until smooth.

No comments:

Post a Comment