Wednesday, August 17, 2011

French Toast with Strawberries and Bananas

French Toast

I remember the exact moment when I had my first delicious taste of French toast.  Believe it or not, it wasn't until I was age 25 when I savoured an amazing version of this breakfast staple.  Up until then, my association with it could be described as soggy bread dipped in scrambled eggs.  The only redeeming quality was that you got to drown it in super sweet Aunt Jemima syrup. Think of the antithesis of Martha Stewart, that's my mom.  In any case, I credit her for indirectly motivating me to learn to cook.

The french toast I make today I learned from Chef Rona Moulu.  She was a generous soul and mentor who treated her staff as her kids.  One day she made me breakfast and forever changed my perception of French Toast.  It's a simple recipe of egg, milk, cinnamon, sugar and vanilla. Dip the Challah bread into the mixture and then cook in butter (don't skimp on the butter either!) until golden brown.  Afterwards, bake it for 4-5 minutes at 325 degrees. Top with fruit and serve with your favorite maple syrup.  Trader Joe's maple syrup is my current favorite.

Sliced Challah Bread

Eggs, Milk, Cinnamon, Sugar and Vanilla

Close up of French Toast

Top with fruit and sprinkle with confectioners sugar





No comments:

Post a Comment