Saturday, August 27, 2011

Key Lime Pie

Limes, Key Lime Juice, Graham Crackers and Condensed Milk

Hurricane Irene cut my vacation short by one day. We came home early to beat the storm back and prepare for what would lie ahead. I am still hopeful she will die down before she reaches our area, but the thought of the worst case scenario lingers. While shopping at the local Stop and Shop you could feel the anxiety and panic in the air. My neighborhood has so many trees - I am fearful one will fall onto the house. I admit I worked myself up into a state of panic, but then I got angry. I wasn't going to let the Hurricane or the fear of its destruction hinder my life. I set out to bake. Years from now I will remember while waiting for Hurricane Irene, I baked a Key Lime Pie.

I made the Key Lime Pie recipe from Joe's Stone Crab. I didn't have any fresh key limes, so I used Nellie and Joe's Famous Key West Lime Juice. It had a nice texture, but the flavor was a little off. Maybe fresh lime juice would have been a better substitue for the fresh key lime juice.  I'm still feeling a little anxious, but I'm glad I didn't spend my entire day feeling crippled by the unknown. Stay safe during the storm!

Graham Crackers and Sugar

Pie Crust

Lime Zest

Pie Filling in Crust

Baked Pie

Topped off with Whipped Cream





2 comments: