Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Chocolate Chip Cookies

Chocolate Chip Cookie

Baking cookies, specifically chocolate chip cookies, is what lead me down the path towards professional cooking.  I remember fondly baking cookies in my small college apartment kitchen.  Chocolate chip cookies tend to be a typical crowd pleaser.  But everyone seems to have a different opinion about what characterizes the perfect cookie.  My ideal is chewy on the inside, crisp on the outer edges yet still overall soft.  I like the dough to chip ratio to be around 70:30 or 60:40.  It shouldn't be too flat or too puffed up, not too sweet, but just sweet enough with a nice toffee and vanilla flavor.  The structure should be strong enough to hold up if you want to package it as a gift, but not so tough as to hurt your teeth.  I like my cookies freshly baked (with the chocolate oozing) served with a nice glass of cold milk.  Since they only stay warm for a short period, they should still be delicious when cooled.  I have had many years to figure out what it is I am looking for in my ideal chocolate chip cookie.  I wish I had a counter for the number of these cookies I have made - it would probably total a sick number in regards to pounds of butter, flour, sugar and chocolate used.  I've tried so many recipes over the years - Tollhouse Chocolate Chip, Neiman Marcus, recipes on Allrecipes, Epicurious, two from Carole Walter, Smitten Kitchen and many others of unknown origin.  Now factor in that my husband likes a completely different cookie from me. He likes crisp cookies. His favorite part is the dough and enjoys a chipless version.

At times I wish I could find the one that would make me throw all others away.  But then again, I wonder if the quest for perfection will elude me forever.  Here is a recipe I tried today I found on Honey & Jam.  Visit her site, her photos are absolutely stunning.  I made the one called "Ashley’s Chocolate Chip Cookie".  It's a very good cookie - the chocolate was nice and oozy and the cookie was not too sweet.  It had an interesting dense texture mostly likely due to the turbinado sugar.  I shall continue to search for what I consider my ultimate chocolate chip cookie.  Since everyone's ideal is different, maybe this recipe is the one for you.


Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough

Scooped out dough

Freshly Baked Cookies

Chocolate is oozing out. Enjoy with a glass of milk!

No comments:

Post a Comment