Monday, August 29, 2011

Pizza

Close up of unbaked pizza

Today the kids had pizza for lunch. My son Matthew likes basil because he still remembers we grew some in the garden 3 years ago. Maybe if I encourage him to grow some veggies he will start eating them? Ha, not likely, but I still have time to try to make him change his ways. He asked me to make homemade pizza with the basil we bought from Fairway. I cheated and didn't make the dough or sauce. I guess it would be called semi-homemade pizza - not a fan of Sandra Lee. Anyway, it's a good alternative to frozen pizza or take-out.

I have a lot of basil left over. I think I see basil ice cream in the near future. Will it be gross or surprisingly good? Tune in and see.


Basil



Add the sauce

Fresh Mozzarella and Parmigiano Reggiano

Pizza is ready!

Pizza

Store-bought pizza dough (I used Trader Joe's)
Rao's homemade Vodka Sauce (Regular Tomato Sauce is preferred)
Fresh Mozzarella Cheese cut into slices
Grated Parmigiano-Reggiano Cheese
Fresh Basil, cut into a chiffonade
Olive oil
Flour to roll out dough

Oil a baking sheet with olive oil. Lightly dust a clean surface with flour. Roll out pizza dough into a round or oval until thin. Place the rolled out dough onto the baking sheet. Brush the the dough with more olive oil, then top with sauce. Add the sliced mozzarella, sprinkle on grated parmigiano-reggiano then season with a little salt and pepper. Basil can be added prior to baking or after or both (cooked basil will not be very attractive). Bake at 425 degrees until golden brown, about 15 minutes. During the last 5 minutes, slide the pizza off the baking sheet and cook the pizza straight on the oven rack to brown the bottom.




No comments:

Post a Comment